September 20, 2010

Super busy week

We have had a super busy week and I seem to be neglecting the blog.  Ashley had to have surgery on her toe Wednesday, so our lives were a little consumed by her this week.  She had what was called an Osteochondroma growth the tip of her big toe.  It was a minor surgical procedure and she is doing great after the procedure.  I will post some pictures later this week after we have her follow up surgery.

When I knew she was doing fine after her surgery, I got to work in the kitchen.  Hopefully this week I will get some recipes posted of the delicious baked things I made, but for today I will give you a recipe for risotto. I love risotto, but it’s not something I had ever made at home. I was a bit intimidated by the cooking process. You really have to baby sit the pan and NOT WALK AWAY, which is something I’m not good at when cooking. There seems to always be fifty things going on when I’m trying to make dinner.  I got the original recipe from the food network site, but did make some changes to it.  The original recipe calls for dried mushrooms in the chicken broth and also an addition of wine with the rice.  The risotto was wonderful even without these things.  I also made Balsamic glazed salmon with the risotto and will post that recipe later.

015

Mushroom Risotto with Peas

  • 8 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups finely chopped onions
  • 10 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or short-grain white rice
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, optional

Directions

Bring the broth to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Keep the broth warm over very low heat.

Melt the butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the white mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and let it toast for a few minutes. Add 1 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 28 minutes (the rice will absorb 6 to 8 cups of broth). Stir in the peas. Mix in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment