September 14, 2010

Fruit cup at the park

We had an A Mazing weekend.  It seems that we are actually able to enjoy all three days Mark has off lately.  Mark has some time for new tattoos this weekend and that gave me and the girls some time to explore a few of the festivities going on at parks near us.  Saturday morning I took the girls to Lowes for the Build and Grow Clinic.  I forgot the camera this week, but we built these cute dog leash holders. 

028

Then we made a quick stop at our local farmers market, again without camera, for lunch.  On the way to the fruit stand to check on the peaches we stopped at a park to check out the Music Festival for Hopes Door.  We were a bit early for most of the activities, but we enjoyed walking through the park and looking at the different craft booths.  As expected there were a variety of food vendors that gave off wonderful smells.  I hadn’t eaten lunch yet and was happily surprised to see a fresh fruit cup vendor.  I was more surprised when the lady sprinkled Chili Powder on the fruit and gave it a squeeze of lime juice.  But nothing prepared me for the explosion I tasted.  What an amazing way to enjoy a cup of fresh fruit.  The sweetness of the fruit, spice of the chili powder and tart juice of the lime all came together in perfect harmony.  I couldn’t wait to recreate this home.

018

This made the perfect breakfast with a nice toasted English muffin. 

001

At home I used cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, mango, grapes, chili powder and lime.  My grocery store didn’t have any good fresh mangos, so I bough the ones in the jar.  They were a little softer than fresh and didn’t hold up very well under the weight of the other fruit. 

002

I diced up all the fruit and put it in a large bowl so I could toss it all together.  Then I moved it to a plastic storage container and keep in the fridge just like that until I want a bowl.  This is how my kids eat it. They just scoop out a serving when they want a snack.

005

But when I want a snack, I put some chili powder on top.

017

Squeeze on some fresh lime juice and

018

enjoy.  I found that I like a lot of chili powder on mine.  The spicy sweet tartness of this fruit really hit the spot.

Spicy Fruit Cup

  • 2 C Watermelon, cubed
  • 2 C Cantaloupe, cubed
  • 2 mangos, cubed
  • 1 C Pineapple, cubed
  • 2 c grapes, halved
  • 2 limes cut in half
  • Chili powder, to taste

Place watermelon, cantaloupe, mangos, pineapple and grapes in large bowl. Toss to combine. Place serving of fruit in bowl, sprinkle with chili powder to taste and squeeze lime half on fruit. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment