March 16, 2010

St Patrick's Day Cupcakes


I saw this recipe for frosting this morning and decided to give it a try. I made butter cream frosting over the weekend and it was ok, but Ashley said it was 'too buttery'. I figured I would find a different one for her and this one looked interesting. The girls helped me make cupcakes and after they cooled I used a piping bag to put the frosting on the cupcakes.

The frosting came out more like whipped cream. It was really soft and wet so I put the cupcakes in the fridge and the frosting firmed up. Again, one kid liked them and the other didn't..no winning with this crowd. I think the girls will give most of them away to friends this afternoon. I love baking but don't need the stuff around the house tempting me to eat it all.

We have run into the spelling word blues around here lately. I decided to change it up this week. We are reviewing old spelling list and adding in a few new words, but we decided to give up the notebook and pencil this week and we are using the white board. Schools are closed on Friday, so I figure we will take Friday off, too. So for this weeks spelling lessons the girls are given random words and if they spell them correctly they get a colored noodle. On Friday they can trade in 40 noodles and I will take them see the movie "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" we are almost done reading the book together (both of the girls have already read it separately) and it should be neat to see how the book is translated to a movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment