February 12, 2010

Yeast

I've been trying to make yeast bread and I'm having some issues with my bread getting the rise I think it should. So in order to understand yeast a little better I've incorporated it into our science lessons. So today we tried yeast three ways and have scientific proof that yeast likes to eat sugar. Not very surprising for me, but the girls had fun making hypothesis and objectives and conclusions. Goodness it's almost like we did 'school' today.
The first bowl is hot sugar water, middle is just hot water, and last is cold water. Next week we are going to see what sugar yeast likes best and then for fun we will add yeast to different liquids and see what happens. All the while we will keep baking bread and see if I can get some that aren't flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment